Climbing walls are structures consisting of tall walls, generally constructed using plywood and plastic climbing holds. The top of the wall is either bolted or cemented into place and features large platforms for climbers to stand on while they reach up and attempt to grab the next hold. Some very advanced climbing walls feature shorter angled walls and other types of difficult problem-solving tasks for more experienced climbers.
Why build a climbing wall?
There has been much debate over what type of benefits can be attained by building a private or club climbing wall – some say there is no benefit associated with such activity because it only encourages people to climb indoors rather than outside (where they feel it should be), but many others feel that there are indeed benefits. Below is a list of reasons why someone would want to have a climbing wall in their home or club:
1. Climbing walls is fun, and they encourage people to get outside and enjoy the fresh air while exercising. This can be a benefit for some people because it encourages them to be more active and participate in activities that provide a good cardiovascular workout.
2. Some people feel that building a private or public climbing wall encourages communities to become closer-knit by encouraging outdoor group meeting times, while simultaneously being able to participate in sports together indoors under one roof. For example, if you build your own climbing wall it could encourage birthday parties, school meetings, meetings with friends, etcetera – all while everyone is engaged in a fun activity together indoors.
3. Building your own indoor climbing wall can instigate a greater bond between you and your spouse – this is because both of you will be required to work together in order to assemble the structure, which requires teamwork and problem-solving skills. If built correctly it could look a lot like a certain Tower of Babel.
4. Building an indoor rock climbing wall encourages healthy competition done in good spirit among friends and family members – if everyone starts out on the level ground (the long flat section at the base) then as they climb their way up the walls you can encourage them to see who can do so with the least amount of mistakes or falls along the way. The person who makes the most mistakes loses!
5. Finally, climbing walls are just plain fun to use! If you’re the type of person who enjoys building things then it can be rewarding to build your own structure, but if you’re not then don’t worry – there are many places to go and get one already built. But please keep in mind that if you do go out and purchase a pre-built wall, make sure it is quality construction before placing an order or making any commitments.
What do I need to know before I begin the Climbing wall?
You will probably want to start by drawing up some plans on paper so that you have a good idea of what size wall you want (how tall), how much plywood or plastic holds will cost, etcetera. If you are going to be assembling your wall by yourself it is a good idea to make sure the structure will fit in whatever room you have designated for its use.