They’re a climbing accessory that makes it easy to take your climbing rope along with you – wherever you go – by connecting it to your harness. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes, but they all have one thing in common: they make life a lot easier for climbers who want to climb every day.
The two most popular styles are the Alpine Draw and Petzl’ Tri-glide. The Tri-glide is incredibly versatile because its design allows the user to adjust the length of each loop which then expands or contracts as needed. It’s extremely lightweight, has an auto-locking buckle, and can hold up to 20KN (roughly 1800lbs). In comparison, the new Black Diamond Oz Quickdraw weighs 11oz and can hold 24KN.
The Alpine Draw is a more traditional option. It comes in two different lengths – 12cm and 19cm – and has a sling of high-strength nylon on each end of the quickdraw which secures with a standard carabiner. Each sling can hold over 22KN, so there’s no need to worry about it breaking under pressure (unless you fall 15ft into one). The only downside is that these do tend to be slightly bulkier than the Tri-glide, but they’re still small enough to fit into any pack or cargo pants waistband with ease.
It doesn’t matter if you’re new to climbing and want something easy to use, or you’ve been scaling stone walls for years and want a lightweight durable option – quickdraws make it easy to take your sport along with you.
What are the benefits of quickdraws?
There are a few key benefits that come with using quickdraws:
1. They make it easy to take your rope with you wherever you go. This is perfect for climbers who like to hit the crag on a whim or for those who want to take their sport climbing skills abroad.
2. Quickdraws help to keep your rope organised and tangle-free – which can be a lifesaver when you’re trying to make the most of a short climbing session.
3. They’re versatile and can be used with any type of climbing harness.
4. Quickdraws are lightweight and durable, making them the perfect option for anyone who wants a hassle-free climbing experience.
Where can we buy quickdraws?
You can buy quickdraws at most climbing and outdoor stores. Alternatively, you can order them online from a variety of retailers. Just make sure to do your research before purchasing – not all quickdraws are created equal. A good starting point is to look for ones that meet the following criteria:
1. It’s easy to secure and remove your carabiner from both the sling and the quickdraw. There should be no hassle and they should fit snugly into place.
2. The material needs to be lightweight, but also durable enough for everyday use – it can’t break or bend easily when you fall on it. Quickdraws usually have a rating of 2KN-24KN, so make sure yours meets those requirements before buying it.
Can we buy Quickdraws in any colour?
If you’re not into bright neon colours then yes! There are a variety of options available in different sizes and styles that allow climbers the ability to adjust them as needed. Brands like Black Diamond and DMM make high-quality quickdraws in a variety of stylish colours such as black, blue, red, yellow and more.